I love baking up a storm but, when there's sweet treats in the pantry, they call my name all day long!! So I mostly make savoury bakes to fill up the freezer with easy lunchbox fillers. Having a freezer stash of goodies to throw in the lunchbox makes those crazy busy school mornings a whole lot easier!
DOUGH (or use your favourite bread, pizza, or scone dough for this):
- 2 Cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 85g butter, chilled and chopped
- 3/4 Cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 200C. Grease a 12 hole muffin pan.
2. Place flour, baking powder & butter in food processor & blitz to fine crumbs. Transfer to a bowl. Make a well & add milk. Stir with a knife to form a sticky dough. Turn out onto floured surface & knead gently until smooth. Using floured rolling pin, roll dough out to 20cm x 40cm rectangle.
3. Top with whatever you like (see suggestions below), leaving a 1cm border all around the edge. Roll dough up from a long side. Trim ends. Cut into 12 equal slices & place into muffin pan. Brush with a little milk.
4. Bake for 15 to 20mins or until golden. Cool on a wire rack. I store these in a ziplock bag in the freezer. Add to the lunchbox from frozen & they'll thaw by lunchtime.
Tomato paste, grated cheese, sliced olives, chopped pineapple, chopped ham
Pizza sauce, crumbled feta, sundried tomatoes, chopped roasted red pepper
Pizza sauce, shredded bbq chicken, bbq sauce, grated cheese, parsley, chopped pineapple
Cream cheese, sweet chilli sauce, chopped ham, grated cheese, chopped chives
Pizza sauce, chopped spinach, chopped deseeded tomatoes, grated cheese
Marmite & grated cheese
Let me know your favourite combo!
Share this post